Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Interview with Kristine Lilly


KRISTINE LILLY
Position: Forward
Height: 5‑4 (1.63 m)
Born: July 22, 1971, in New York, New York
Hometown: Wilton, Connecticut
College: University of North Carolina

U.S. National Team: The world’s all‑time appearance leader, she has stepped away from soccer to have a baby, due in July of 2008 ... She captained the U.S. Women’s National Team from 2005–2007 ... The only player in history to play in five FIFA Women’s World Cup tournaments ... Not counting 2001 when the USA played 10 matches and 2005 when the USA played nine, Lilly played more than 1,200 minutes for the National Team every year since 1991 ... She appeared for the United States in three different decades ... She scored in every world championship tournament she has played, except the 1991 Women’s World Cup when she was 20 .

Q: What was it like playing on the wonderful 1996 team with Mia Hamm and Julie Foudy?
A: It was great playing with Julie and Mia. Not only did we have fun playing on the soccer field but it was even more fun hanging out off the field and being friends.


Q: What was it like winning the Herman Trophy?
A: The Herman Trophy was so long ago and it was an honor. It is nice to be recognized for your achievements but it isn’t what I shoot for.


Q:Who was your idol?
A: My idol growing up was my older brother.


Q: What is your most memorable soccer moment?
A: I have a lot of great memories. When I was little it was the oranges at half time and when I got older winning an Olympic gold medal and the world cup in ’99 was pretty special.


Q: How long will you continue to play?
A: I will continue to play for as long as I can. Probably another 2 years. We shall see.


Q: When did you start playing soccer?
A: I started soccer when I was 6 years old.


Q: What would you say to a young athlete about becoming great?
A: I think if you want to be great at something you have to keep practicing. You can’t stop trying to get better. being great isn’t just a one time thing you have to constantly work out it!


A: How did you get started in professional soccer?
Q: I made the national team when I was 16 years old. Then from there I grew up playing as soccer grew to be more and more popular. The women’s pro league started in ’01 and then ended in ’03 and now it is coming back in ’09 so it is great that the opportunity will be there for many young girls.

Q: What are the keys to success?
A: Working hard and dedicating yourself to something and having fun.


Q: Who was your best opponent?
A: Pretty much all the countries were great opponents. You can’t take anyone lightly.


Q: What was your most memorable goal?
A: I think my first goal on the national team was pretty memorable.

No comments: